FEDERER WINS WIMBLEDON FED EXPRESS - Swiss ace shows his emotion after winning Wimbledon FED EXPRESS - Swiss ace shows his emotion after winning Wimbl


Roger Federer savoured "an unbelievable moment" in his career after claiming a record 15th grand slam title with victory in an amazing Wimbledon final against Andy Roddick.

Federer saved four set points in the second set and eventually triumphed 5-7 7-6 7-6 3-6 16-14 to win a sixth Wimbledon crown on Centre Court.

Federer celebrates with his trophy

"It was a crazy match, an unbelievable end and my head is still spinning. This could have gone on for a few more hours I think," said Federer. "It's an unbelievable moment in my career."

Pete Sampras, who had shared the record for most grand slam titles with Federer until today, flew in from the United States overnight to watch the match from the Royal Box and Federer added: "Thanks very much for coming, I know it's a long way but you're a member, we like to see you here and it's such a pleasure to play in front of such great legends.

"It's not really one of those goals you set as a little boy but man, it's been quite a career and quite a month.

"It feels amazing but this is not why I'm playing tennis, to break all sorts of different records, but it's definitely one of the greatest ones to have.

"But this doesn't mean we stop playing tennis. I want to keep enjoying tennis for many more years so I hope to come back here and play some good tennis in the future."

And Roddick is shattered after an epic final

Federer's win also sees him regain the world number one spot from the absent Rafael Nadal, who withdrew through injury, and the Swiss added: "I guess it's nice to have but of course I'm aware that Rafa didn't play here.

"Injuries are part of the game but I'm happy I became number one in the world by winning this title because this is the biggest one there is and I love playing here.

"Things didn't look so good when I lost in the finals of the Australian Open (earlier this year) but to come through and win Paris and now Wimbledon back to back it's amazing."

A gallant Roddick paid tribute to Federer and apologised to fellow American Sampras for being unable to prevent him losing his record.

"Roger is a true champion and he deserves everything he gets," said 26-year-old Roddick, who has now lost three Wimbledon finals to Federer. "I tried, sorry Pete, I tried to hold him off.

"It was a pleasure playing here today in front of great champions like Pete, Rod (Laver) and Bjorn (Borg). I still hope one day that my name will be up there with theirs as a winner of this tournament."

0 comments:

Post a Comment